Travel insurances to enter Costa Rica
The insurance requirement requested from foreign tourists to enter Costa Rica may be met through international medical insurance, in addition to the two existing local options. In this way, tourists can no longer choose not only the national products registered but also the international options of their choice, as long as they meet three requirements:
• Medical expenses generated by the disease COVID-19
• Minimum medical expenses equivalent to the costs of hospitalization for the time that is required.
• 14 days minimum coverage for lodging expenses.
In the event that the insurance with international coverage does not meet any of these requirements, the tourist must purchase travel insurance offered by one of the authorized insurers in Costa Rica.
In the case of insurance with international coverage, the Costa Rican Tourism Institute assumes the task of verifying compliance with the established minimum conditions.
The verification mechanism will be digital; however, while it is being implemented, the Institution staff will personally attend the cases of tourists with international coverage. The tourist will have to ask the international insurer for a certification issued in English or Spanish, stating at least three conditions:
a. The validity of effective insurance during the visit to Costa Rica
b. Guarantee that it covers medical expenses in cases of pandemic disease COVID 19 in Costa Rica, for at least $ 50,000 (fifty thousand United States dollars).
c. That includes a minimum coverage of $ 2,000 for extended lodging expenses due to pandemic disease.
Medical insurance is one of the three requirements that the Government of Costa Rica has established to regulate the entry of tourists into the country in times of pandemic. The other two requirements are:
• A negative test for COVID-19. The sample for the test must be taken a maximum of 48 hours before the passenger flies to Costa Rica.
• Complete the digital form called Health Pass. The form is available at the address https://salud.go.cr